U.S. Passports

Passport Services are currently suspended
for Plymouth City Hall.
To find locations that may be taking appointments, please visit the
U.S. Department of State website at: 

Unless this service is suspended due to the City of Plymouth's pandemic response protocols, you can apply for a United States passport at Plymouth City Hall.

The City of Plymouth is accepting appointments for new passports Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. 

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to renew by mail using Form DS-82.

Please note: If you live in another country (including Canada) and you're submitting Form DS-11, you must apply in person at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Visit U.S. Department of State's website for full instructions at www.travel.state.gov


1. Please fill out the application and be aware of the following:

  • Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
  • If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration."
  • You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by checking the '52 page' box at the top of the DS-11.

2. Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship:

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s) full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

3. Present identification:

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: In-state, fully valid learner's permit with photo, in-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo, and temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these 3 documents.

4. Provide a passport photo:

You must provide one photograph with your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements.


You will need two separate checks or money orders:

  • First-time Adult Passport Book - $110 with an additional $35 acceptance fee.
  • First-time Adult Passport Card - $30 with an additional $35 acceptance fee.
  • Minor Passport Book - $80 with an additional $35 acceptance fee.
  • Minor Passport Card - $15 with an additional $35 acceptance fee.
  • To expedite your passport for faster processing - $60.

Standard Processing Time:
4-6 weeks

Expedited Processing Time:
2-3 weeks

Expedited Processing at the Detroit Passport Agency*:
8 Business Days - Appointment Needed 877-487-2778

*If a customer is traveling within 14 days due to an emergency or other urgent travel needs, he or she will need to make an appointment to appear at a Regional Passport Agency. Appointments at Passport Agencies can be made through the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at 1-877-487-2778 (toll-free) or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TYY). The automated telephone appointment system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The applicant must pay the Passport Fee, Execution Fee and Expedite Fee to the U.S. Department of State.

More information related to passport fees can be found here.