Police Reports

Obtain a Copy of a Police Report

General police reports, traffic crash reports, private property crash reports, theft reports, and damaged property reports are generally available five to seven business days after the incident is filed.

Reports other than traffic crash reports may be requested through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) by completing a police report requestReports are prepared for a specific fee and can take up to five business days to prepare.

Traffic Crash Reports

Traffic crash reports may be obtained by using any of the following options:

  • Visit the State of Michigan Website. The fee is $10 and credit cards are accepted online.
  • Visit the CLEMIS website.
  • In person, at the Plymouth City Police Department Records Department, during regular business hours, Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Call 734-453-1234 ext. 219 to verify that your report is ready. The cost is $5 per accident report and cash, check, or money order payable to City of Plymouth is accepted. 

Report Related Questions

How long do I have to file a police report?
There is no time limit; however, we do request that any report be made in as timely a manner as possible.

I had a traffic accident on the roadway; do I have to make a police report?
Michigan law requires that you make a police report if you have over $400 of damage to your vehicle.

What if I have a non-injury accident on private property?
You should file a private property accident report. Both parties and both vehicles need to be present at the time the report is taken. Arrangements should be made by all parties involved. There is no time limit, however, as soon as possible you should file a report for any accident that occurs within the City of Plymouth at the Police Department, located within Plymouth City Hall at 201 S. Main.

I had a minor traffic accident in a parking lot; can you send a police car to take the report?
You can call for an officer at the time of the accident, however, depending on the volume of calls, it might not be possible for an officer to respond in a reasonable amount of time. Both parties should exchange information, including telephone numbers, and make arrangements to come into the station for a police report to be completed.

Where can I obtain a copy of a traffic accident report or any other police report?
Copies can be obtained online (for a small fee) for traffic crash reports.  All  reports may obtained at the Records Department, for a fee, Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and under the FOIA.